Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Reflection By Christina

One word to describe our final week in Kosrae would be "reflection".  Our dear friend Christina wrote a beautiful blog post that perfectly describe the sights, sounds, smells, and over all feeling of Kosrae.

We thought we would share... Enjoy!


Srackna momong...

I remember the very first time that I rode my bike alone at night here in Kosrae. It was the first time I went to Bully’s for movie night and I was biking home afterwards. The movie was an action-packed thriller, so my nerves were already a bit on edge. Things were going fine and then I started to hear strange scurrying in the trees and I let my mind get away from me and pretty soon I was booking it as fast as I could on my bike. Heart racing, legs pumping, booking it fasthoping I wouldn’t bike off the road… Ah, things have definitely changed since then.

Yesterday, I went for a run on my own after sunset. There was still a bit of light when I was running out to the pool, but on my way back it was definitely night. I felt completely safe running by myself in the middle of the night with no flash light. No worries, total comfort. I feel so safe here. Now the scurrying of crabs in the bushes or the occasional crash of a coconut or palm frond falling down from the trees doesn’t freak me out. It is all a part of the comforting soundtrack that has been my life for the past year.

I am definitely going to miss the sounds of Kosrae.

The laughter of my students and family that just bursts out with no restraints. The “wheeee!” of surprise. The click of annoyance sometimes followed up with a “tiohk!”. The “efuh?” or “kom meh?”, “Christina meh?” or even just “meh?” The encouraging “kompare!” and “nais kom!” when I am going for a run. The curious "mataytah? Lia Frank?" The sexy “na pwacye”.

The high voices singing in church. The cheers, pot banging, and songs at sporting and community events: “ding, ding, ding…” “kompare, kompare, kom-pa-ree!”. Christmas songs: “mwet na kewa engenan kaksak…”

The bumpin’ base of cars as they drive by blasting music. The victorious singing of sports teams as they drive by packed into the back of a truck. The “tuoh!” or “lenwo!” coming from a friendly face. The enthusiastic “hi!” from the naked little kids on the hill as I bike to work. The celebrity status “hi christina!” from the kids in Lelu. The random “high schooool” from people I don’t know.

Axa and Heisey telling/acting out stories. Deciding who is stronger: batman or dinosaurs. Aliksa’s jokes. Cia and Leah chatting. Pelma’s contagious laughter. Heisey’s “oh really?” Axa’s “how was your day?” Ruth Ruth’s “Distina!!!”

The sound of the rain on a quiet Sunday afternoon. The rhythm of the ocean. The waves rolling the coral pieces onto the beach. The sound of the fish when SCUBA diving.

The wind rushing past my ears sitting on the roof of the Phoenix. The scurry of gravel when Padma and Chubs come to greet me. The occasional crow of a rooster.

The sound of Axa and Heisey playing.


There are also a lot of sights that I will miss.

My living room full of the people I love. Axa and Heisey dancing around the living room. Picnics filled with all my family and ridiculous amounts of yuc na pwacye food. Generations of family members all taking care of each other.

All the kids at Yat running around. My beach. The bench. Bonfires and s'mores (snores?). Frank’s facial expressions. The clear night sky filled with stars. Leah, Pelma, Axa, Heisey, and I searching for the glowing stuff in the sand. Shooting stars. The evasive little dipper. Sunrises and sunsets. Chubs and Padma following me wherever I go.

Hesiey, Axa, and I skipping stones (ikshosho) when the sky and ocean are tinted pink from the sunset. Having someone climb a coconut or tangerine tree for me.

Alicia’s yacyacs and smiles. Leah holding Alicia. Axa dancing with Alicia. Me and Alicia eating our assit pancakes.

Talutson’s priceless smile. My students strumming ukuleles and chatting before class.

The ridiculously cute kids --pushing laundry baskets around on the Laundromat floor, heads hanging out of car windows, mouths stuffed with candy at church.

The rainbow of muumuus and sparkly hair barrettes. Older women waving over little kids at church to give them candy. Kids and older women competing for Christmas marching goodies.

Walking out at low tide and looking back at the island. The sparkling blue water -- so many different shades. The sleeping lady in all her moods. The brightly colored fish and coral. The shell scattered shore in Phinnapes.

The herds of crab crawling on the roads during a full moon. The stray land crab that manages to sneak into our house and the crazy broom hunt that follows. Leah palming a roach like it’s no big deal.

Our fruitful papaya trees and new vegetables (and our one lime!). Our now well-used cook house. Women orekma mongo in the kitchen. Men BBQing and playing checkers. Prayer and speeches during family gatherings.

Me and my family napping on the living room floor.

I will probably be adding more random thoughts in the next few days, but for now I just need to reflect and process. I only have one week left in Kosrae. Leaving here is not going to be an easy thing to do. 

A part of my heart is in Kosrae.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your assistance!